About me

A mother, wife and civil servant, a conscientious citizen and patriot ----- my abiding love for books has made me try my hand at writing poetry, none of which is anything but the strictly spontaneous outpouring of a mind that prizes truth and harmony, above all else.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Exile

how madly I do love you
but I love my heritage too

the gold flecked mustard fields
the soulful voice of the granthi

the tractor trolleys keeling over
the loud weddings, the garish colours

the jutti, the paranda, the phulkaari shaal
not the Patiala peg, but the Pattialvi salwar

the sundar mundriye, the gajak, the rewari
the hot tea, the bonfire, the Lohri bonhomie

the giddy gidda, the exuberant bhangra,
the dancing dhol, the bolis, the tappas

the tradition of langar, of ebullient kar sewa
of happy faces stepping out of gurudwaras

years ago I gladly entered exile
I embraced your world, I made it mine
I wonder why you never ask
about the world I left behind

1 comment:

  1. Simply nice or can say nicely simple
    Simplicity cannot be hostage to the lyrical
    Lyrics might be ephemeral, but the
    "Exile" could not have been written more natural!

    ReplyDelete