About me

A mother, wife and civil servant, a conscientious citizen and patriot ----- my abiding love for books has made me try my hand at writing poetry, none of which is anything but the strictly spontaneous outpouring of a mind that prizes truth and harmony, above all else.

Friday, March 15, 2013

happy

Over a cup of tea
in dry, sweltering heat
racked with ennui
turning his eyes away
from the stack of dusty files
he asked me what I
thought my life would be.
I am determined to be happy
I replied instantly.
He looked amused at my naivety
as if I was blind to
the innumerable variables
that enter our lives
and mould it differently
from what we want it to be.
Two decades hence, he said,
I will ask if you succeed.
I have, I wish I could
tell him, it wasn't easy
dreams shatter, promises are broken
some bonds grow weak
people you had thought immortal
suddenly leave, and a lifetime
doesn't suffice to weep tears of agony.
But moments of joy are plenty
one only has to keep one's heart
open to receive
and then they link seamlessly
and one looks in the mirror
and exclaims, I am happy!
( © pvks)

No comments:

Post a Comment