About me

A mother, wife and civil servant, a conscientious citizen and patriot ----- my abiding love for books has made me try my hand at writing poetry, none of which is anything but the strictly spontaneous outpouring of a mind that prizes truth and harmony, above all else.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

father



for my beloved father
if i could
would i have you
return to life
the crinkled smile in your eyes
the tweed coat in winters smelling
of the daily , just one peg
of whisky
the devdas songs hummed
oh so soulfully
the love poured into the gajar
halwa that you stirred
for hours to get it
"just right"
the admonitions to wrap myself
in one more layer
even when I was
bundled up
as if an eskimo
stepping out into an icy night
the camaraderie that never failed
even when other relationships
did
and i cried on your shoulder
and found respite
the constant urging to do better, yet better
that has brought me to a place
where I can step up and say
papa, I am your daughter
and feel a surge of pride

oh yes oh yes oh yes
(priya)

No comments:

Post a Comment