About me

A mother, wife and civil servant, a conscientious citizen and patriot ----- my abiding love for books has made me try my hand at writing poetry, none of which is anything but the strictly spontaneous outpouring of a mind that prizes truth and harmony, above all else.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Homes


Home --- 1

watching uncle urfi on black
and white konark tv
papa reciting julius caesar and
relating cordelia's story
picnic lunches amidst pine needles,
resting on scratched knees
securing the books on the rear seat,
cycling to the library
watching the cacophonous tv debate,
i recall many homes from memory

Home---- 2

They grew tall and pretty
sweetpeas that stood in a row
white pink and yellow
It sprang beneath
our tingling naked feet
the grass grew lush and green
We grasped a corner each
and rainbows streaked
in the lazy evening
till ---- dry crisp folded
the dupattas lay in a heap
----- here you go, maasi
Our summer home with naani
lingers fragrant in my memory

Home - 3

hearing me cough and wheeze
you would wake up at 2 am
to bring me comfort and ginger tea

pulses research, national oilseeds mission
you would listen to me reciting facts
on coarse cereals and arid land cultivation

i was twelve when we visited the optician
and you asked, can spectacles conceal a beautiful mind
because I wept to discover my weak vision

you would insist , haathon ki chand lakeeron ka
i would have none of it, youth has strong opinions

you were proud of the prizes i won but prouder still of
what you had taught me : courage integrity and compassion

dearest father, i refresh my memories
when the burden gets too heavy
and straighten my shoulders
as you would have me

No comments:

Post a Comment