About me

A mother, wife and civil servant, a conscientious citizen and patriot ----- my abiding love for books has made me try my hand at writing poetry, none of which is anything but the strictly spontaneous outpouring of a mind that prizes truth and harmony, above all else.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

piety

I believe in no God
You believe in The One
I abide by no rules or rituals
laid down in books
Your life is circumscribed by one
I believe I will become the dust from
which I arose
You believe in punishment and reward
and Heaven
We eat and dress differently
Speak different languages when we describe
women's roles and duties
Yet I cannot believe that He who made
you and me
Meant us to wield swords and bricks and daggers
against each other
No, that cannot be His definition of piety.
(priya)
3.10.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment