About me

A mother, wife and civil servant, a conscientious citizen and patriot ----- my abiding love for books has made me try my hand at writing poetry, none of which is anything but the strictly spontaneous outpouring of a mind that prizes truth and harmony, above all else.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Music for the soul


It was exactly 10 years ago that I first discovered Mozart, and Western classical music. Hindi film music, ghazals, some Punjabi folk, and a little of Western country and pop music was all that I had heard till that moment. I was on a flight to Singapore and because it was my first international flight ever, I was struggling to get the personal entertainment system into the Hindi movie viewing mode. I failed and settled instead for the Western classical music option and spent the whole flight enthralled by the music, electing not to let even tea ( to which I am addicted) interrupt the smooth flow. I skipped the meal, did not sleep a wink, and by the time we landed in Singapore, I had fallen in love with a music genre that's been my constant companion since. 

I still can barely distinguish between composers, I can't correctly pronounce half the names, I cannot define sonata and andante and adagio and allegro and all the other mysterious sounding titles, but the music touches my soul and that is all I care about!

Over the years, I have discovered Celtic music , contemporary country music, and thanks to my son, a lot of jazz, some opera, and even "thinking" rap. 

Having opened my heart to Western classical music, I have also let in Hindustani classical music and devotional music.

Sometimes, Facebook friends tag me when they upload music and that's been my route to hearing and savouring music I wouldn't have known existed. 

And yet, there is so much music in the world that I have not and never will hear that it makes me marvel at the creative genius of the human mind, and how we dishonour it when we get jingoistic about a particular language or art form or craft ------ all of them are manifestations of the same genius that has brought this amazing, beautiful world into existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment